With the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, it’s the end of an era. I am looking forward to seeing familiar faces from past films (Sybill Trelawney, Cho Chang). And I eagerly anticipate the “Look. . .at. . .me” moment and “19 Years Later.”
Into the Pensieve: Favorite Film Scenes
– Little Hermione’s magical confidence (“It’s Wing-gar-dium Levi-oh-SAA!”)
– The opening of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Lumos maxima! Sure, underage magic outside of Hogwarts is not allowed. But it’s a thrilling scene and introduces the audience to the mesmerizing vision of director Alfonso Cuaron.
– Harry takes flight on Buckbeak in Hagrid’s verdant classroom setting
– The second Expecto Patronum
– The Yule Ball: the date-arranging, especially Harry nervously asking Cho Chang (she’s Scottish!) in the Owlery; the dance itself with Cho and Cedric Diggory looking fine, Hermione looking beautiful, and Pulp and Radiohead members cameo-ing as the Weird Sisters.
– The first appearance of Voldemort and the Death Eaters: the terrifying reveal of Voldemort in the graveyard, the crazed laughter of Bellatrix Lestrange as she escapes from Azkaban
– The battle at the Ministry with Dumbledore’s Army, the Order of the Phoenix, and the Death Eaters
– Harry’s first kiss (with Cho), Ron’s first kiss (with Lavender Brown), Hermione’s first kisses: Victor Krum kisses her hand, she kisses Harry in the Horcrux locket hallucination, and she will finally kiss Ron in the last film
– The horrifying sight of Katie Bell suspended in the air after touching the cursed necklace
– With Ron’s blood on her hands, Hermione casts charms to protect their location after escaping from the Ministry
– Harry’s enthusiastic and awkward dancing with Hermione in the tent
– In fact, anything Team Harmony—Hermione hugging Harry, Hermione smacking Harry, “I’m sure that Harry’s kissing was more than satisfactory”
– The sinuous delivery of Alan Rickman as Snape
View 23 memorable Harry Potter props on Entertainment Weekly’s website here